The Best Tactics for Chimney Waterproofing
Chimneys are incredibly durable structures, but the harsh Indianapolis weather takes its toll on them. Along with your annual chimney sweep and inspection, there is another easy way to protect your chimney from damage: waterproofing. Water can do a lot of damage to your chimney, especially if water gets into the masonry and expands upon freezing. A great way to avoid water damage to your chimney is by waterproofing it. In this post, we explain the best way to waterproof your chimney.
Why Waterproof Your Chimney
Waterproofing your chimney is the best way to prevent water damage and ensure your chimney stays in great condition for many years. Waterproofing is much less expensive and time-consuming than repairing the severe damage your chimney would otherwise obtain. Waterproofing is a preventative measure, it will not solve any existing issues. Before waterproofing your chimney, you must geet a chimney inspection to assess and repair any current damage.
Steps to Waterproofing a Chimney
While waterproofing a chimney is less extensive than a repair, it still requires proper knowledge and tools. The steps to waterproof your chimney include:
- Measure the surface area of your chimney to determine how much material you need.
- Thoroughly clean your chimney to remove mold, rust, efflorescence, dirt, or other debris.
- Repair any issues. Before you waterproof your chimney, you must repair any damage. Call a professional, like the Chimney & Masonry Outfitters of Indianapolis to handle any repairs.
- Choose a breathable water repellent, not a sealer. You need moisture to be able to escape, and using a sealant will cause spalling.
- Apply the waterproofing agent evenly all over your chimney.
- Cleanup. Remove drop cloths and other supplies, and clean the materials you used.
Hiring a Professional is the Best Method
Waterproofing your chimney may sound simple, but it takes detailed knowledge of chimneys, masonry, and waterproofing options to do an accurate job. The best way to waterproof your chimney is to actually call a professional to help. The Chimney & Masonry Outfitters of Indianapolis are here to handle your chimney waterproofing from beginning to end. Our dedicated team follows the best practices for chimney waterproofing, and will also help you with any repairs you need along the way. For the best chimney waterproofing service in Indianapolis, contact CMO at 317-500-1250 or OFFICE@CMOUTFITTERS.COM.